Monday, February 21, 2011

So I donated blood today

So I went for my 6th or 7th full blood donation today. It has been a while since I last donated( I think about 10 months to be precise because I was on roaccutane.) Let me talk about roaccutane a bit first......IT SUCKS!!!

Unless you have really serious acne(which I didn't) avoid at all cost. My dermatologist said that it has little to no side effects, but let me tell you this, you suffer! First of all your skin becomes the damn Sahara desert, and you itch EVERYWHERE, then your lips just start peeling off and they become sore(the dry lips were in my opinion the worst side-effect) and ugly. I swear I had some lower back pain triggered by it(never had it before and havent had it since), but I can' t be sure.

Well at least my skin is all pretty now.

But I digress.

So first blood donation in a while means I have to fill in that long-ass form all over again!

But got that out of the way, the sister who checked my BP/Pulse and Iron really irritated me because she was wearing a Balance Bracelet(Pseudo-scientific rubbish).

Fortunately I had a different sister bleed me.
Let me just say,no matter how many times you donate, that needle is scary, not that it' s very sore(it's not) but it's so damn big!! The sister had to dig around my arm because my vein was quote, "Running away from the needle" anyway eventually I was set and leaking blood.

This part is really nice because they bring you cookies and cool drink on a tray(What reason more do you need to donate??) and they brought me their quarterly filled with 10 year old cancer patients who need blood or they' re going to die, basically a trick to guilt you into donating again .

The room was scattered with various posters, one with the breakdown of the various blood groups, and apparently my blood group, AB Negative, is the rarest one there is(less than 1% of the population).....Fuck yeah!

Anyway, losing 500ml of blood(Yes, I use the metric system, get over it) goes by surprisingly quickly and you don't feel too different afterwards. I went straight from the donation centre to a maths class.


So I feel good about myself today :D

16 comments:

  1. I feel like I should donate blood...but although this sounds terrible, I don't do it because it lakes the motivation of plasma donating. If I'm going to get stabbed, getting payed at the end makes me more willing.

    Probably a good thing there's people with more altruistic motives like yourself out there... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I donated twice before, will do it again if I see them asking for some. that needle IS scary, I remember when we donated they sent trainee nurses to do it, some of my friends had to be poke a couple times before succeeding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey hold on now, those braclets have a special hologram that 'focuses the bodies energy', or some shit like that :P

    Love the metric...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to donate blood, but I think I'm not allowed ;(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, how did you feel after were you tired?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only for about 15mins after then I felt normal again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to donate blood, but I just have this fear of needles...esp big ones...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually don't donate blood... but appreciate people that do it :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. the one time i donated blood they couldn't get any out of me. i'm pretty much running on sludge.

    and my brother must use accutane for his acne his lips look like they belong on a dead person. that or he sucks a lot of cock.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to donate blood, but 500ml... man

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grats bro. Helping out a fellow man is a very fulfilling act.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually like the feeling when they take blood from me. feels kinda cool....

    ReplyDelete
  13. i should really do this some time soon, is a cause worth being active about. thanks for the story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good on you for donating, it's not something that I do enough.

    ReplyDelete