Sunday, February 13, 2011

Why I like Science

I hate writing about myself but I decided I will today.

Today I am going to explain why I love and hopefully one one will pursue a career in science.

*Curiosity -  The characteristic that most epitomizes a child, a quality often lambasted as immature,dorky or impractical, is also the quality that is most essential in science( the need to know!). I have always been curious, even now at 189I easily spend hours on wikipedia reading up on any random question that springs to mind). Curiosity, I believe, is  necessary to uncover the beauty in the universe, and I feel that science is the only field that comes anywhere close to satisfying my curiosity cravings!

*Great  Lasting Effect - If you list people who change the world and impact peoples lives you think of, doctors, revolutionaries, activists, charity workers etc (and they all do extremely important work) but in the long term scheme of thing the people with the MOST influence on peoples lives now and in the future.
Think of it like this, Alexander Fleming discovered Penicillin roundabout the same time as Hitler began all his machinations, both had a great influence, but Fleming's is immortal, his work is still saving lives today.
Fleming saved more than Hitler killed.....far more.
Now you may argue that it's only 1 in a million scientists that make such contributions, just remember Newtons famous saying - "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."


*Fun - My, perhaps naive, view of science as a career is that it is exciting, not a 9 to 5 office job but one where you blow stuff up and concoct experiments and play with lasers and all those geeky things.
As I said most probably naive, but I'm optomistic haha.

*World domination/Zombie apocalypse - Most likely career to assert my world domination or start the zombie apocalypse - 'nuff said.


Thank you for reading my blog.

I will have another post up soon! 

12 comments:

  1. interesting... nice work man, followed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes science is cool. It's a pitty you have to be really smart for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to study Chemistry first, but now I'm doing something totally different. But I can totally understand the joy in one can have with science.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you make it in your Career, being a Scientist does seem MUCH better than just sitting at a desk... all day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always been more curious than cautious, I think it's better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man I love science! I love reading all these interesting things in textbooks.

    but what i don't like is to be tested on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and The Big Bang Theory. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. bring on the apocalypse! I'm so waiting and ready for it! it'll be fun indeed :P

    Great blog man, keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting!

    Great blog! Following and supporting!

    Garage Zoku

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome, why am I just now finding your blog? I got here from Jesse's Diary of a future medical student (hopefully) blog, linking to yours. I like what I see. Keep up the science!

    ReplyDelete