Friday, February 18, 2011

Reservoir Dogs : A review

I'll first say that I am a big Quentin Tarantino fan, so my expectations for Reservoir Dogs were very high,, even it being his first film(Not counting Natural Born Killers).

Knowing his movies I knew that the success of the film depended entirely on the vast dialog - the non-dialog  scenes bloody and gory and well done, do however take a backseat.

As soon as Quentin(terrible actor as he is) complete his "Like a Virgin" speech right in the beginning of the film, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.

The basic premise of the story is this - Six thieves who don' t know each other take part in a failed jewel heist.
Once they arrive back at their rendezvous point, a police mole is suspected and from there onwards it's a cacophony of panic and mistrust.

All the characters in this film are great, each with his own backstory and unique personality. A real tip of the hat goes to Harvey Keitel(Mr. White) who I think is the heart of the film. An antihero if I have ever seen one!

In order not to spoil the movie I will not tell you who the cop is, but a great performance from the actor that played him too, his naivete is evident throughout the film(He calls a mob boss a nice guy), and he eventually succumbs to the "criminal mentality".

Steve Buscemi also gave a strong performance with Mr. Pink, a likeable fellow in a sadistic kind of way.

Humour ,albeit of dark, isn't lacking either in Tarantino's dialog.

It is racist, gory and morally dubious but,all in all a great movie that shows a glimpse of Tarantino's genius shown in his masterpiece Pulp Fiction.

I give it a solid 9/10, my only qualm is that it ended so quickly.

8 comments:

  1. I saw it too, I think it deserves 8/10

    ReplyDelete
  2. another movie in my to-watch list. its piling up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, this movie is crazy, i can't believe that dude loved his money more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big Tarantino fan, and I didn't care for the movie at all. I suppose my expectations were too high. My favorite scenes were the "torture ear" bit while dancing, and Buscemi's (sp?) "I don't believe in tipping" scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This movie was really good, surprised me the first time I watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always meant to watch this, but never got around to it. Shame on me!

    ReplyDelete